So, I was making a list of tips I had for those going into cs340.
- Cs340 is going to be C++ for the entire semester. A good place for documentation (ie the closest thing to javadocs) is cplusplus.com
- You will be using Qt, which is a free framework. It has its own ide. Qt has really good documentation. You can download: http://qt.nokia.com/products/. Documentation is: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/index.html
- You will be required to compile your code on bert, which is a linux-based system. I would recommend getting to know a little about linux, so that you can use bert and the linux lab to compile your programs. If you have more questions about this, I am more than happy to explain, just ask.
- I took the course with professor Troy. He had a lot of projects, with the last two being partner projects. I hear that professor Leigh also is very project heavy.
- The acm does offer tutoring. Get in there early (referring to early in the project), and we will be able to help you with your program. Do know this: we will not do your project for you.
- You can ask siggame mailing list or acm mailing list for help, but be warned that we will not do your project for you.
- I feel that the biggest difference between java and c++ is how the two deal with memory. Learn how c++ deals with memory. Don't just idle in class, actually learn it.
Anyone have any other tips, or arguments with mine?