[Acm-announce] Fwd: Guest Speaker from Google at Chicago

Deitz, Sean M. sdeitz2 at uic.edu
Thu Apr 1 09:32:43 CDT 2010

Subject: Fwd: Guest Speaker from Google at Chicago
From:    "Anushka Anand" <anushka.a22 at gmail.com>
Date:    Thu, April 1, 2010 8:02 am
To:      sdeitz2 at uic.edu
Thanks,
Anushka

--------------------------------

Hey there CS students,

We have a guest speaker from Google's Chicago office at our usual social
tomorrow,
*Friday April 2nd at 4pm*
in *SEO 1000*

Come by for FREE pizza, pop and the following presentation.

*Speaker: *Jon Trowbridge
*Title: *"Distributed Systems, Where Easy Things Are Hard"
*Abstract: *Leslie Lamport memorably defined a distributed system as "one in
which
the failure of a computer you didn't even know existed can render your
own computer unusable."  In this talk I'll start with a trivial
program and discuss the things that can go terribly wrong when
splitting the task it performs across two machines.

Best,
Anushka
(CSGSA President)
http://www.cs.uic.edu/CSGSA