[Acm-announce] [Fwd: Hey look, elections announcements]

Deitz, Sean M. sdeitz2 at uic.edu
Tue Mar 30 12:17:08 CDT 2010

To quote Gary, President (Chairman) of last year.

'''
Hello fellow ACMers,

It is April and my term as President is quickly coming to a close.  The time
has come to release the reigns of the ACM from my iron-fisted grasp.

In one week [next Thursday] (on 4/8 at 5:30pm in SEO 1000), an election
will be held and we will vote on the four main officer positions of the
ACM and
choose the appointed ones.  I will describe them below.
If you wish to run for one of these positions, make sure to be ready to
answer questions and have a platform to run on when April 8th rolls around.
And remember, if you don't get elected for one of the positions, you can
still put yourself up for another (and another, and another, until you get
elected out of pity...).

Elections will be held in the following manner.  For each position, a
candidate will get up and speak their piece and get asked questions.  Then
all candidates will be ushered out of the room and the other ACM members
will discuss them and then write down their pick on a small piece of paper.
 This piece of paper will be dropped into some container.  Then all the
votes in the container will be counted, the candidates will be called back
into the room and the result announced.  We will then move on to the next
position to be elected.  After the four main officers are elected, they will
choose the appointed positions.

Now this part will really separate the really responsible candidates from
the slackers.  If you wish to run for office, please respond to this email
saying so.  It's in your own best interest to get voters on your side early.

ELECTED POSITIONS
--------------------------------

President - You are in charge of things happening.  Everything that goes
wrong in the ACM is your fault (along with the occasional thing that goes
right).  Your job isn't to boss people around so much as to remove obstacles
to getting things done and then, if needed, kicking people in the butt until
it's done.

Vice President - As second in command, you are required to take almost as
much responsibility as the President for what the ACM does.  Your job is
partially to assist the President, but a large part of it is taking charge
of some of the things the President has no time for (such as LAN parties, in
my case).  The job basically ranges from lackey to pretty much co-President,
depending on how you want to play it.

Treasurer - The lifeblood of any organization is its funding. You are tasked
with paying people, balancing the books and acquiring more funding.  This
requires a very detail-oriented and responsible person.

Secretary - A secretary keeps all of the data about the meetings, any
decisions that are made and often fills out some paperwork when needed.
 This position has to be filled by someone who can attend all meetings and
is pretty organized.

APPOINTED POSITIONS
-----------------------------------

Network Administrator - The network administrator takes charge of the ACM's
network and systems.  This is a job that teaches you a lot of skills about
how to do almost professional system administration (including pleasing your
users: us).  This requires someone with a lot of technical skill, or someone
bright enough to learn it fairly quickly.

Public Relations - This is someone who is skilled with communicating to
students/faculty/corporations.  They would be tasked with advertising
ACM events,
getting corporate sponsors and reaching out to other ACMs.

Webmaster -  Preferably this is someone who has experience using
HTML/CSS/MySQL/etc.  Someone who has some idea of what looks good would be
nice as well.  You would be responsible for updating, maintaining and
improving the ACM site.

Gary Turosvky
ACM Chairman

P.S. Remember that you have to be a UIC ACM member in order to vote (that
is, you paid us $10 in the past school year and you got a receipt from us
saying you are an ACM member).
'''

So, the time of my bronze-fisted reign has come to an end.  We need
persons of honour to step up and take charge of next year.  ACM has been
revitalized, now ambition and valour are required to declare and
instantiate a new era for the Association of Computing Machinery.  Take
part in the compilation of a better organization!

~ACM President 2009-2010, Sean Deitz