[Acm-announce] Important ACM Announcements

Walter Dworak wdwora2 at uic.edu
Fri Jan 6 14:14:52 CST 2012

There are several important announcements that need to made that are
relevant to this, quickly, upcoming spring semester, so please read the
entire email.

First, our first meeting will be Thursday January 12 in SEO 1000. Our
meeting days are listed on the calendar, http://acm.cs.uic.edu/calendar.
It will be a meet and greet style meeting with some small presentations
from our SIGs about what they are about and what they were up to during
the fall. A message is also being sent out to the SIG leaders about this.
There will also be a change to the meeting format we were following in the
fall. After the meet and greet and SIG presentations, there will be a
second meeting portion where we will discuss upcoming ACM events, where
people can provide more direct feedback about various aspects of the ACM,
and take care of various ACM business. This will be discussed further in
this email and, as always, food will be provided at the meeting.

Second, membership dues. According to our records a large amount of people
have still not paid their membership dues this year. This was not tracked
well in the past, but is being tracked now. There were several warnings in
the fall and this is the final warning, accounts will start to be disabled
beginning February and your ability to be involved with the ACM may be
limited. Notices are going out to everyone who has not yet paid.

Third, the ACM needs a new secretary to finish up the Fall 2011/Spring
2012 term. The current secretary, Allie, will no longer be at UIC this
semester so we are going to hold an election during the business portion
of the Thursday meeting mentioned earlier. The duties of the ACM secretary
are detailed in the ACM bylaws, http://acm.cs.uic.edu/bylaws, and can be
summarized as such:
- Keep meeting minutes
- Sending out certain notification
- Participating in general ACM business and decisions
Anyone interested in running for the position will be required to go to
the meeting and state their intent to run. After that there will be a
popular vote will be taken amongst the members present than the Executive
Council will elect the new secretary. The only requirement for running is
being a paid ACM member, which can be taken care of at the meeting or in
the immediate future.

tl;dr Go to the ACM meeting this Thursday and pay your membership dues if
you haven't.

Walter Dworak
ACM Vice-President