[Acm-announce] Fwd: [acm-officers] Clean Energy Challenge 2013

Michael Berg mberg4 at uic.edu
Thu Nov 15 11:52:23 CST 2012

Just passing this on...

Mike Berg
ACM Secretary
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Energy Initiative <the.energy.initiative at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Subject: [acm-officers] Clean Energy Challenge 2013

Dear UIC Faculty, Staff, and Students,

Please see below for an opportunity offered by the Clean Energy Trust, a
partner with UIC on many activities and programs.

*While many graduate students are concerned about finding jobs when they
finish their degrees, my partners and I will leave school having built a
scalable, sustainable clean energy business.  Our company, NuMat
Technologies <http://numat-tech.com/>, is comprised of applied scientists,
MBA candidates and law students who met and strategized at Northwestern
University. ** *

*The university environment is a great incubator because it brings together
bright people from different disciplines, each of which was integral to
building this company. Every member of our leadership team had a vision for
our clean energy company and their disparate skills came together to bring
cutting-edge research out the laboratory and—soon—into the marketplace.*

*NuMat vetted and proved its business model at the 2012 Clean Energy
Challenge <http://www.cleanenergytrust.org/events/about-the-challenge/>, a
competition that offered the opportunity to be tested by leaders in the
industry. The Clean Energy
Trust<http://www.cleanenergytrust.org/events/about-the-challenge/>,
the
business accelerator that developed the competition, provided mentoring and
advice that helped us hone and present the business plan in a way that
resonated with investors and industry leaders.  NuMat ultimately won the
Challenge and its $100,000 prize, as well as the Department of Energy’s
National Clean Energy Business Plan
Competition<http://techportal.eere.energy.gov/commercialization/natlbizplan.html>
.*

*In all, NuMat was awarded more than $1.25 million in prizes, is now hiring
and working with the Gas Technology
Institute<http://www.gastechnology.org/webroot/app/xn/xd6801.html?it=enweb%26xd=gtihome.xml>
identify and synthesize natural-gas storage.*

*Missouri’s university environment is fertile territory for ambitious
academics to find their niche in the innovation economy. Applications are
now being accepted for the 2013 Clean Energy Challenge. I encourage every
student with a good idea for a clean energy business to apply and take the
first step in forging their own future.*

*
*

*The Energy Initiative*
George W. Crabtree