[Acm-announce] SIG Coders! Look Here For More Info

Ian Swift iswift2 at uic.edu
Thu Oct 10 20:01:13 CDT 2013

For people who have been given a function...

Function descriptions are online. To see them, as well as a further
description of recursion (it's uploaded and compilable) go here:

https://acm.cs.uic.edu/git/sig-code-project-members/sig-code/tree/tutorial

If you haven't branched, you should do so. Go into your respository
director (using a shell such as terminal or cygwin) and enter: git checkout
-b <your_function_name> master

Then add your file using: git add <filename>

When you need to save changes (do this often, with helpful messages) using:
git commit -a -m "<message here>"

To upload your files to repository, use: git push origin <your_branch_name>

Finally if you don't know where to start, or need help, or want someone to
look at your function, basically IF YOU NEED HELP WITH YOUR FUNCTION AT ALL
go on the ACM IRC, channel #sigcode. You should really get a desktop
program such as HexChat or Trillian. If you don't feel like doing this, ACM
has a browser based one here (https://acm.cs.uic.edu/irc). I'm thedoctor,
but Sean and srjek will also be helpful.

I'd like everyone to get SOMETHING done by next week. If you walk into
SIGCode next week and say you've done nothing, you will not be put on
priority for another function. Basically, if you show you want to work on
this project, you will.

NOW OTHER PEOPLE, if you didn't get a function, there will be somewhere
from 1-3 more expand functions coming out soon. So get your repository set
up! I'm around ACM until late usually (not tonight, I have a date), or I'm
accessible on the irc virtually whenever I'm at my computer. Contact me, or
someone else who has already set up. We'll get you a function--if not this
time, then next time.

Thanks, and Good Luck! (IRC ME!)
-Ian Swift