[Acm-announce] Google Summer of Code Talk this Thursday (3/12) at 5:30pm in SEO 1000

Gary Turovsky gturov2 at uic.edu
Fri Mar 6 11:13:58 CST 2009

Hey guys,

For those of you who have no idea what the Google Summer of Code is,
here is the official Google blurb about it:

"Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is a global program that offers student
developers stipends to write code for various open source software
projects. We have worked with several open source, free software, and
technology-related groups to identify and fund several projects over a
three month period."

So, basically, you get involved in this and they put you to work
improving an open source project.  It's a great way to solidify your
mad programming skillz.  It's also a great way to involve yourself in
a real-world programming situation and learn a lot about how open
source works.  Probably looks great on a resume or CV, as well.

We're going to have Borja Sotomayor from the University of Chicago's
ACM come and talk to us about how you can get involved.  I believe the
application deadline is March 18th, so it's fast approaching.  It will
be in SEO 1000 at 5:30pm.  As usual, free food will be provided :)

Gary Turovsky
ACM President