[Acm-announce] Stump the Profs! is Wednesday (3/18) at 12pm

Gary Turovsky gturov2 at uic.edu
Tue Mar 10 17:35:12 CDT 2009

Hello everyone,

On Wednesday, in room 1043 ERF, on March 18th at 12pm, we will have
the annual Stump the Profs event.  As the name implies, the purpose of
the event is to settle the score and prove, once and for all (or at
least until next year), that we are intellectually superior to the
professors.  In the last one, we bested them easily, but I'm certain
this time around they're really going to bring the heat. :)

How it works
------------------
All the CS students get together and come up with questions.  Those
that wish to get in on the action, send the ACM President (me) the
questions you wish to ask the professor.  You get to ask your question
at the event.  If the question stumps the professors, we get a point.
The professors will also be asking us questions, and if we don't get
the right answer, they get a point.  The highest point total by the
end, wins.

There are limits on the questions.  All the questions must come from
your CS classes.  So, if you've ever got an absolutely horrible
question on an exam and you want to revenge, here's your chance.
Sadly, the question can't be the kind that takes longer than 10-15
mins to solve.  Be reasonable.

What we get
-----------------
We win the golden stump, which currently resides in the ACM office
(SEL 2262).  If you want to gaze at the golden stump, feel free to
stop by any time.  We also win the right to be really cocky and
obnoxious the rest of the semester.  If we lose, no doubt the
professors will never let us live it down.

Also, even if we lose, we get free food.

So, come join us.  I think a lot of you are getting the time off from
classes, so you have no excuse not to get in on this :)

Gary Turovsky
ACM President