[Acm-announce] Arduino Workshop @ Flourish Conference 2012

Stephen Liang sliang6 at uic.edu
Mon Mar 19 11:00:29 CDT 2012

Flourish Conference 2012 will feature an Arduino Workshop in which you can
get some hands on experience on working with Arduino hardware. Space is
limited so register early to ensure that you get access to our Arduino
Workshop. Please note that there are 15 available tickets for the Arduino
workshop where you use Pumping Station: One's arduino kits. You may also
decide to purchase your own Arduino Kits and bring it to the conference. If
you are bringing your own hardware, please select the "Bring your own
hardware" ticket.

Please also remember to register for Flourish Conference to ensure that you
get a free T-Shirt!

Register Link for Flourish Conference (to make sure you get a free
T-Shirt): http://bit.ly/wdGCEz

Register Link for Flourish Bowling Event:
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3176197091/eorgf

Please let me know if you have any questions by contacting me at
sliang6 at uic.edu

The Introduction to the Arduino class is for beginners with no experience
in electronics or microcontrollers. This is an information-based
introduction to the Arduino, with just enough examples to verify the
presentation.

*Outline:*

What's a microcontroller?

What's Arduino? (open source software/hardware, a defacto standard,
avr-gcc, libraries, bootloader)

Point out the various components on the Arduino board

What does a minimal Arduino consist of

Tour of the board connectors
       5.0 volts
       3.3 volts
       ground
       analog in
       analog out
       digital in/out
       bits/bytes

Installing the Arduino environment

A brief word on the Arduino environment 0.xx to 1.xx transition

Launching and running
       pick your board
       find your serial port
       find/set your sketches folder
       how projects/files are named
       save-as from the examples folder
       encourage saving often w/ different filenames
       code beautifier

Location of the examples and reference

Why is blinking an LED important?

Basic structure of the language
       if
       while
       for
       functions

How to use a breadboard

What's a resistor?

Why is blinking an LED important?

Using the serial monitor

Running examples with i/o
       ditgital output
               blink
       digital input
               fake pushbutton (pullup w/ a  with wires)
       analog input
               voltage divider / pot (a ratio w/ one unknown value)
               voltage divider / photocells
       analog output (PWM)
               Regular LED
               RGB LED
       data (intelligent) i/o
               serial monitor, sparkfun catalog examples

libraries for specific types of devices

Hardware is hard. What is a shield?