[Acm-announce] ACM+BOA Windows Phone 7 App-athon (SIG-WIN)

Daniel Stack danielstack at outlook.com
Tue Oct 9 15:50:43 CDT 2012

I, a former intern for Microsoft and soon to be full time employee, am
providing an opportunity for UIC students to demonstrate their capabilities
to design and create a Windows Phone 7 app as well as give back to UIC
hoping that Microsoft will continue to provide future opportunities for
students.

Why Windows Phone? Technologies change and Windows Phone is an emerging
competitor but there is an opportunity to claim a place in the marketplace.
Additionally I have an app in the market place and I will be able to help
the most by focusing on Windows Phone. If you don't have a Windows Phone
don't worry, you can still make an App and I will allow you to test on my
phone.

Smartphones are becoming an extension of ourselves, they provide us means of
communication, scheduling, information, entertainment and more. To think of
a way to take the sensors, camera, and information processing on a phone and
find a useful way to help humans accomplish a task, is an effective way to
demonstrate engineering for human needs. If you don't know how to program as
a BIOE that's ok as long as you find yourself in a group of at least someone
who can program (beginners welcome). You can still contribute by planning
and prototype the screens and interactions of your group's app.

Microsoft Research provides these cloud services called
<http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/hawaii/default.aspx> Project
Hawaii, the website provides a good description of all the available
services of how they can be used. But the most important question to be
answered for you all is how these can be used for Bio Engineering uses or
any other creative way.

This will be a series of events held Mondays 6pm to 7pm LCC C3 every week
starting Oct 22 as the first event. It will be a competition between groups
and prizes from Microsoft will be awarded to winners. Someone from Microsoft
will most likely visit UIC to judge app submissions. Laptops are encouraged.

If you are interested I hope to see you at the first event Oct 22. I will
also be speaking at BOA GBM Oct 25.

Please contact Chaitra K ( <mailto:chailatte3000 at gmail.com>
chailatte3000 at gmail.com) if you are part of BOA and are interested in
participating.

Please contact me @  <mailto:danielstack at outlook.com>
danielstack at outlook.com if you are not part of BOA (meaning ACM or neither)
and you are interested in participating.

When contacting us please include:

*         Name

*         Email (in case announcements)

*         Role (programmer or non-programmer)

Questions and Concerns can be answered by email from either one of us.

Lastly if you want to get a head start, stop by the ACM office SEL 2260 when
I am there (which pretty common) and I will help you get started. Bring your
laptop though.

We hope to hear from you all soon :-)!

Best Regards,

Daniel Stack

University of Illinois at Chicago - Engineering - Computer Science

Windows Phone App Developer -
<http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/196e770f-143a-445d-a75b-52f85e5d46a0