[Acm-announce] Newbie Week! [September 23 - 27, 2013] | Linux InstallFest! [September 27, 2013]

Chase Lee clee231 at uic.edu
Sat Sep 21 23:35:47 CDT 2013

Hey Linux Newbies!

This week, the Linux Users Group (LUG at UIC) will be hosting their annual
Linux *Newbie Week*!  Newbie week will start on September 23 and
conclude on September 27.  For those of you who don't know, Newbie Week
is a chance for new users to learn more about Linux!  At first, Linux
may be a daunting thing to handle... With all these terminal commands
and unfamiliar toolsets.  We hope that after learning about Linux, you
will understand a bit more about the operating system and perhaps gain
an appreciation for all the Linux goodness! ;-)  If you are a CS major
you are bound to dabble with Linux at some point or another, so get a
jump start on learning more about Linux!  Each day this week, LUG will
present a topic relating to Linux and YOU(the newbie).  The schedule is
as follows:

  * September 23, 2013 @ 5:00PM - Installing Ubuntu Linux
  * September 24, 2013 @ 5:00PM - Using the Shell
  * September 25, 2013 @ 5:00PM - Connecting to Linux From Other Systems
    (Remote Access)
  * September 26, 2013 @ 5:00PM - Using Linux at UIC
  * September 27, 2013 @ 5:00PM - Working with Code

Each presentation will be presented in SELE 2254 and/or around the
LUG/ACM Office area.

For those of you who would like to try out Linux on your own computer,
we will also be having an *InstallFest* as well!  For those interested,
we will help out anyone willing to install Linux on their own computers
(or at least a VM) at the conclusion of Friday's presentation!

If you have any questions, please let us know by beginning a discussion
on the ACM/LUG listserv or by contacting one of the LUG officers directly.

Hope you're ready for a Linux-filled week!
Chase Lee
Linux Users Group (LUG at UIC) Vice-President
clee231 at uic.edu