[Acm-announce] SIG SysAdmin Meeting Reminder and Update

Walter Dworak wdwora2 at uic.edu
Fri Feb 20 16:14:12 CST 2015

Quick (Late) reminder that there is a meeting today at 5PM in SELE 2262.
The agenda for today is at the end of this email.

With that out of the way I wanted to send out an update on the direction
we will be heading with the general meeting topics. I want to make sure
to note that this does not mean I want people to not work on other
projects, such as those listed on the wiki page, but to have a common
goal to work toward that will cover many base topics. So getting to the
point, I have decided that the main focus will be working on the monitor
wall cluster. We will start will reinstalling a Linux server OS on the
cluster's head node and configuring the base services, network included,
the cluster nodes will need. The plan is to then move towards deploying
a provisioning tool called Foreman to manage the OS installs on the
client nodes centrally and then a configuration management tool called
Puppet. From there we should be able to get the software that combines
all the displays, Sage, deployed and configured on the nodes using these
systems. Much of this is going to be a learning experience for all
involved. More details will make it to the wiki page for the project and
during meetings.

Now for today's agenda:

  * Installing Ubuntu Server 14.04 on the monitor wall head node
      o Covers basic linux installation and remote access configuration
  * Create a separate workstation image for the ACM LAN Party
      o Covers basic software installation in Arch Linux
      o Configuration of system access
      o Interaction between various software in the Linux GUI Desktop
        environment (LXDE)

-Walter Dworak