[Acm-announce] SIGSysAdmin meeting times - Fall 2016

Chase Lee clee231 at uic.edu
Wed Aug 31 09:48:35 CDT 2016

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is having a good start to the new semester!  We are
planning to begin regular weekly SIGSysAdmin meeting soon.  I would like to
get an idea of what times people would prefer to meet.

For those of you who don't know what SIGSysAdmin is, it is a Special
Interest Group part of the ACM at UIC chapter.  SIGSysAdmin is for those who
are interested in administrating systems and networks. The SIG's goals are
to explore topics of system administration related, but not limited to,
systems maintenance, software and hardware implementation, and software
deployments. By using the knowledge that you gain, you can start playing a
key role in supporting and administering the ACM at UIC chapter software and
hardware services. You can also apply what you learn to future job
opportunities!

I have created a doodle poll to facilitate available meeting times from
everyone who is interested. Please fill out your availabilities here:
http://doodle.com/poll/4dwy2w7numhfumq5

If you are interested in SIGSysAdmin, but are just starting off, you may
find LUG Newbie Week to be a good primer for learning the basics of how to
use Linux. LUG Newbie week is planned for September 6 - 14 around 5-6pm
each day. They will introduce and discuss a wide variety of topics related
to Linux.  For topics of each presentation, check out the ACM/LUG calendar
for the month of September for more information:
https://acm.cs.uic.edu/calendar  I encourage you to learn as much as you
can about Linux, as we will be using that heavily in many of our systems.

To participate in SIGSysAdmin, you will need to become a ACM at UIC member.
This will allow you to gain access to some of servers you may need for SIG
activities.  You can sign up to be an ACM at UIC member starting at the first
general body meeting held this Thursday, September 1st at 5pm in SELE
2268(CS Lounge).

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this thread or to
email the SIGSysAdmin listserv: sigsysadmin at acm.cs.uic.edu.

Regards,
Chase Lee