[Acm-announce] SIG Math Coding - next meeting 10/6/16

Jasmine Otto jotto3 at uic.edu
Wed Sep 28 15:21:20 CDT 2016

Hi all,

Next SIG Math Coding is in a week and a day from now, on Oct 6th at 1pm.

We will begin work on the two standing project proposals: analysis of a
complex dynamical system (via R, deSolve
<https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/deSolve/deSolve.pdf>, and ggplot2
<http://docs.ggplot2.org/current/>), and basic semantic awareness (via
Prolog, its http library, and ConceptNet).

We're aiming for a basic acquaintance with R (e.g. via the reference card
<https://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Short-refcard.pdf> & mailing list
archives) and Prolog (e.g. via Learn Prolog Now!
<http://www.learnprolognow.org/> and the SWI-Prolog library reference).

Web interfaces exist for <https://sagecell.sagemath.org/> R
<http://www.r-fiddle.org/#/> and Prolog <http://swish.swi-prolog.org/>. In
lieu of specific references, here is light food for thought
<https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1648711> on what Prolog does (logic
variables), does with libraries (constraint programming), and doesn't (I/O).

Regards,
Jasmine Otto