[Acm-announce] Chicago Mercantile Exchange Group Tech Talk - Next Thursday!

Jacqueline Tapia jacqutapia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 12:07:41 CDT 2016

Hello everyone!

I hope you are having a great start to the new semester! ACM will be
hosting it's first company tech talk next week on *Thursday, September 15th
*at 5:30pm in the Computer Science Lounge (SEL-E 2268).

This is a great opportunity for you to learn about how the CME Group
improves the run times of their applications.

*Abstract: *

*Counting Cycles instead of seconds*When your customers care about the time
on the scale of nanoseconds, it’s not good enough to write code that just
works.  It has to be fast! The first step in being fast is a deceptively
difficult question to answer: How long does it take my application to do
all the things it does?  Once you know the answer to that question, you can
prioritize work and work on making slow parts faster, measure the
improvements you make, and track the regressions new features might cause.
But, as soon as you start to measure at scales less than a millisecond,
strange things start to happen.  The make and model of your processor can
determine how accurate time is actually tracked.  And, when every
nanosecond counts, the cost of getting the time and persisting it somewhere
can be longer than what you are trying to measure if you’re not careful.
During this talk we will discuss how we solved some of these problems to
provide a faster and more consistent exchange for our customer, some of the
challenges we faced, and some of the benefits of having fine grained
performance metrics.

We hope to see you there!

Jackie Tapia
Vice President of the ACM, University of Illinois at Chicago Chapter