The Program Committee is responsible for organizing the regularly scheduled meetings of the ACM. To be specific the ACM bylaws defines the Program Committee as: "The Program Committee, which shall plan and arrange meetings of the Chapter in accordance with membership interest and the aims of the Chapter as set forth in Article II; and shall prepare a calendar of regularly scheduled meetings each year." Relevant excerpt of Article II alluded to above:
- The Chapter is organized and will be operated exclusively for educational and scientific purposes and, in furtherance thereof, specific objectives are
- To promote an increased knowledge of the science, design, development, construction, language, and applications of modern computing machinery.
- To promote a greater interest in computing machinery and its applications.
- To provide a means of communication between persons having interest in computing machinery.
- Additional objectives may be added. However, no addition may contradict the main purpose as stated in Article II, Section 1.